Criteria for 3i Projects
Environmental sustainability projects that are catalyzed through the 3i Summit process will be of exemplary quality and will help to demonstrate the collective capacity of Ottawa’s community, business and other organizations to have a substantive and enduring impact on the City’s sustainable future.
As such, 3i projects need to reflect the following features and characteristics.
1. Developed through Partnerships/Collaborations among a group of organizations and individuals.
2. Have a clear link between Sustainability Action and Outcome to demonstrate that initiating change leads to concrete results.
3. Inspire and Empower Ottawans in embracing a more sustainable future.
4. Be Scalable or Replicable such that projects can have long standing impact, and can serve, or be emulated, across the city.
5. Be Visible and Tangible so that Ottawans can learn from great examples, and be able to clearly view or understand actions and outcomes.
6. Generate specific Environmental Sustainability Outcomes such that the question “what has been achieved” is clear.
7. Possess Enduring Value for Ottawa and Ottawans by becoming a part of the fabric of a more sustainable future for the city.
A Working and Evolving Definition for the 3i Summit Process
There are alternative definitions for Community Sustainability or Sustainable Development. The 3i Summit process is based on the following working and evolving definition of Environmental Sustainability.
Ventures and projects catalyzed by 3i will promote a greener City and less impactful environmental footprint for Ottawa in a range of ways and through a spectrum of sectors of our community including, but not limited to:
1. Local Environmental Initiatives
2. Green Economic Development by Business
3. Healthier Environments and Livelihoods
4. Regional Agriculture: Local & Organic Foods
5. Sustainable Mobility: Transit and Active Transport
6. Ecological Conservation Waters and Lands
7. Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy
8. Greener Buildings & Urban Design
10. Environmental Education
3i supported ventures and projects will generally be holistic in nature integrating the pursuit of social and economic objectives in addition to advancing environmental sustainability.
This perspective on Environmental Sustainability provides guidance for 3i activities and interactions, and will evolve. Most importantly it is inclusive, energizing people and engendering innovation to build a bold new vision for a more sustainable Ottawa.